Wednesday 11 July 2012

I Suck At Photography.

/Thought dump
Ain't I glad I came to Mass Communications.

I like photography. Well, those not involving humans. It is not something I set out to do, but rather something I enjoy doing when given the opportunity; and opportunities are aplenty with the course of study I have chosen. But that is not something I wish to talk about: opportunities are everywhere if you seek it out. Rather, I wish to talk about my photographic skills.


It is a nice photograph. In fact, I think it is a fantastic photograph. If I produced one photograph like this for every thousand I take, I would be a fantastic photographer. Except that I do not. Just see the kind of photographs I take over at my OpenPhoto.

I would not say those photographs are too bad either: in fact, if I saw this a year or two ago, I would have thought that I have reached the pinnacle of photography. (I'm exaggerating a little here, but you catch my drift.)

What do I think about my photographic collection now?

It sucks. Sub-par, low quality crappiness.

My field of study changed everything.

The qualities of the photographs were not affected: they were the same as before. What changed was the people around me, or more specifically, photographers around me. Placing their work beside mine was what cause the eventual change of my mind.

That is where my title comes from: I suck at photography.

I am not bitter about it, not at all. In fact, I am glad, very glad, to know that I am terrible at something I love. Believing that one's ability is good enough hinders the progress of that skill set. Knowing that you are bad at something allows you see that you have a long way to go. But loving it makes the tiresome, and mostly boring, path less tiring.

It is better to believe that you suck at something, especially if you actually do suck at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment